Pages

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog! I currently post about my crafting journey, but plan to add more pages that touch on the other life journeys my husband and I are taking. Please stay tuned as we share these experiences. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you find something to inspire you!


Stephenie



Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Graduation Gift!

My niece, Kayla, graduated from High School this year.  I knew her favorite color was purple and I wanted to make a keepsake chest or at least somewhere to put items in.  She can use the chest on her desk for office supplies or use it as a jewelry chest or whatever she wants it for.  I talked to my Sister and she said Kayla likes Pirate Chests, so that was the shape I used to make it.

The idea for this chest was inspired by projects designed by Laura Denison and Kathy Orta.

Cutting dimensions for chipboard:

Bottom Box:        2 pieces - 8.5" x 11"
                             1 piece  -   2" x 11"
                             2 pieces -  2" x 8.5"

Bottom Drawer:   1 piece - 8.5" x 10 15/16"
                              1 piece - 11" x 1 7/8"
                              2 pieces - 8.5" x 1 7/8"

Middle Box:        4 pieces - 8.5" x 5.5"
                             4 pieces - 2" x 5.5"
                             1 piece  -  8.5" x 2"

Middle Drawer:   2 pieces - 8.25" x 5.25"
                             2 pieces - 8.5" x  2"
                             4 pieces - 8.25" x 1 5/8"
                             4 pieces - 5.25" x 1 5/8"

Top Section:       2 pieces - 4.25" x 11"
                            2 pieces - 4.25" x 8.5"
                            1 piece  -  8.5" x 11"

Lid:                     2 pieces - 8.5" x 2"
                            2 pieces - 11" x  2"
                            2 pieces - 8 3/8" x  2.25"   - interior pieces to fit into top section
                            2 pieces - 10 7/8" x 2.25"  - interior pieces to fit into top section

Hidden Boxes in Lid:  2 pieces - 8 3/8" x 2"
                                     2 pieces - 8 3/8" x 1.5"

Slats on chest lid:      11 - 12 pieces:  1" x 11 5/16" (approximately) - verify length after lid is built

Pirate chest shape:  Cut 3 pieces.  Picture with dimensions below.

I used construction strips from kraft colored cardstock.  I cut several pages of strips measuring 3/4" x 11" scored at 3/8".  I then used 1/4" score tape to adhere the strips to the chipboard to hold everything together.

The following pictures are what I took as I made the chest:


The first 2 pictures are of the bottom layer of the chest.

The next 5 pictures are how I made the middle layer of the chest.






The next pictures are when I added the bottom 2 layers of the chest to the top layer.


Lining in the bottom drawer, measure for dimensions of patterened paper.  I used Barnyard paper from The Paper Studio.

Starting the "Pirate Chest" lid:

On the lid slats, I covered both sides with patterned paper before adhering to lid.
I started with just the ends in the shape I wanted, but found that the
length was too long for the "wooden slats" across the top, so I added
a middle support.
I also added additional support at the ends that included a
"hidden compartment" of sorts!

Inside view:
For a finishing touch, I cut metallic paper 2.5" x 1.5" (adjust these measurements to your style) scored in the center and then used a corner punch for a bracket look and put 2 brads in each piece.  This idea was Laura Denison's from her
"In Flight" pattern. 





My niece with her Graduation present!  

Thanks for stopping by!







No comments:

Post a Comment