Pages

Welcome!


Welcome to my blog! I currently post about my crafting journey, but plan to add more pages that touch on the other life journeys my husband and I are taking. Please stay tuned as we share these experiences. Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you find something to inspire you!


Stephenie



Monday, August 4, 2014

Storage Unit Tutorial - Part 3

Well, if you have gotten this far, Congratulations!!  You are almost done!!!!!

This next part can be tricky...not hard, just kind of annoying trying to keep the pieces in place while you get them together, so if you have someone to hold things for you, you should get help on this part.

First, an alternate to what I did.

Alternate 1:  If you do not have a need for Side 3 and 4, just glue and attach Side 1 and Side 2 together.  Prepare your lazy susan as needed and attach the piece to it.

Alternate 2:  After viewing mine for a couple of weeks, I think 9 inches is a little wide for this piece, so my suggestion is to cut this base down.  5 inches is a good width for these sections.

Alternate 3:  If you really like the 9 inches, then I suggest you make a center piece for both sides to give it support.  This is what I am planning on doing...I just do not want to take everything off of my unit to do it, so I have not done this yet.

Prepare your lazy susan.  If you are putting your unit on a lazy susan, you may have to make some adjustments on it...at least I did.  The lazy susan I found had a 1/2 inch lip on it, so my unit would be suspended on that lip.  So I cut out some foam board to fill in the center of the lazy susan and then used hot glue and wet glue to adhere my unit to it.   You could probably just sit your unit on the lazy susan as long as you did not accidentally push it off balance, that will be your call.

Okay, now onto the construction.

Find the middle of the backs of both Side 1 and Side 2 and mark it.  You are going to hot glue the edge of the 3rd Base piece to the middle of Side 1, so that it makes a T shape.  Secure the Base piece with the packaging tape.  Repeat this process with Side 2.  Now you know why a second person is helpful.  How I did this was lay Side 1 face down and make sure I had marked the center all of the way down.  Put hot glue on the Base piece and placed it along the center mark.  When the glue cooled, I stood it up and then put on the tape.  I connected the Base piece to Side 2 with it standing up,  just put the hot glue on and lined up Side 2 as best I could, then put on the packaging tape.

That was the hard part!!  The rest of the construction is the same as Side 1 except the pieces are taller that you glue to the sides.  Because of the possibility of skewing the connections to Side 1 and 2, double check your measurements on the width of the space.  The space should be 9 inches, but may be more or less if your connection isn't 90 degrees.

Glue in the bottom to the base on both sides.  It will stabilize everything.  Your bottoms for each side should be approximately 9 inches by 4 3/8 inches, measure to confirm this.  Put hot glue on 3 sides of the bottom piece and place it level with the bottom of the bases.  Do this on both sides.  Secure with packaging tape.

This is where you should add the center piece for support.  The measurement should be 29 3/4 inches by 4 3/8 inches.  Find the center of the Base and hot glue in place and secure with packaging tape.  This should be easier than securing this Base to Side 1 and 2 since the piece is narrower.

With the assumption that your connections are 90 degrees or almost 90 degrees, your shelves should be about 4 3/8 inches by 4 1/4 inches more or less.  You decide the height of your sections on each side.

 If you want your shelves to slant down, then you start with a 1 inch by 4 3/8 inch pieces glued on the bottom edge forming a 1 inch ledge.

Measure from the bottom back up to the top of the ledge to see how wide you need to make the shelf.
To build on this shelf, the side pieces can be rectangular, but since they will be angled, they need to be shorter width so they will not stick out.

Lay the next shelf piece down and keep building it up until you have the shelves you want.

If you want to add a container at the top of either or both sides, just glue the last shelf down and add a side piece like the 1 inch ledge only wider and hot glue in place and secure with packaging tape.

This process should be used on Side 3 and 4.

When finished decorate with design paper as desired or not.

For extra support, I measured my unit and cut a rectangular piece for the whole unit to sit on and glued it in place.

The last step will be to place the unit on your lazy susan as I described at the beginning of Part 3 tutorial.

Fill your unit up with your supplies.

You made it to the end and I know this part of the tutorial did not have many set dimensions, but this is because everyone has different needs in their craft rooms and how big your shelves are depends on what you are using them for.  If you want to separate your markers into color groups, your shelves will be smaller than someone who wants to store their glues or glitter paints or scissors.
Again, if you need any help with customizing this for your needs and want my input, please comment, message me on facebook or email me at stephs361@yahoo.com.

Thank you for stopping by and Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment